Welcome to Berkeley Bioengineering! We are a vibrant and inclusive community of students, fellows, faculty, and staff dedicated to education and research at the intersection of engineering, biology, and medicine. We provide outstanding educational experiences at the undergraduate and graduate levels while performing research and service to target some of the world’s most urgent and important challenges.
Bioengineering is based on the transformative idea that engineering principles can be used to understand and control biological systems, and to create new biomedical technologies. As you can see throughout this website, our talented community is changing the world in a variety of ways, including:
- Creating a new generation of micro- and nanotechnologies to diagnose disease and make measurements on single cells
- Reprogramming microbes to mass-produce lifesaving medications
- Engineering microchip-sized organs for disease modeling and drug screening
- Developing sophisticated new materials inspired by nature
- Exploring how individual molecules and cells convert mechanical forces into chemical reactions
- Harnessing stem cells to treat incurable diseases
And this only scratches the surface! Thanks to the excellence and dedication of our students, staff, and faculty, our department has has become one of the most innovative and admired bioengineering departments in the country. We are particularly proud to be a part of the UC Berkeley community, which so uniquely blends the social mission of a public university with the intellectual excellence of a top-tier research and educational institution. Our alumni are making an enormous impact in nearly every sector imaginable, including academia, industry, medicine, law, business, nonprofit organizations, and government.
We would be delighted to count you among our growing community of alumni, industry, friends, and supporters. Thank you for stopping by, and Go Bears!
Sanjay Kumar, M.D., Ph.D.
Chancellor’s Professor and Chair