Photia Incorporated is developing methods for industrial-scale manufacturing of materials with complex 3D nanostructure. These materials have many applications for sustainable energy technologies. Our technology will ultimately increase the speed by which such materials can be made by several orders of magnitude compared to conventional photolithography, thereby lowering their cost and enabling their widespread use.
We are looking to fill a paid internship position for candidates interested in learning about research and development in industry to help with one of our projects. Most of the work will be done in the Molecular Foundry at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (just up the hill near UC Berkeley campus; regular shuttle available).
For this job, you will:
• conduct process development for holographic lithography and other nanopatterning techniques;
• characterize the resulting composites (e.g. with scanning electron microscopy, optical spectroscopy).
The internship begins Oct or Nov 2022 and runs through spring 2022 (dates flexible; possibility for extension based on funding). Pay is $25/hr. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We are looking for candidates who:
• have some experience working safely in an engineering, physical science, or biology laboratory (the exact kind of lab is immaterial, as we will provide training);
• pay attention to details and can keep good records;
• are able to work 10-20 hr/wk (times are flexible);
• are interested in developing scalable nanomanufacturing techniques;
• would like to apply their knowledge to make materials with impacts on energy technologies;
• are adaptable and committed to continual learning.
A BS in materials science, electrical engineering, applied physics, optical engineering, or similar field is helpful but not required. Current university students are encouraged to apply. Please send a short cover letter via e-mail and attach a current resume.
Joseph Geddes, firstname.lastname@example.org, 925-378-5243