Want to help make Bioengineering a more equitable and inclusive place?
Come join the BioE Community Working Group!
The BioE Community Working Group (BCWG) is a group of Berkeley BioE students, staff, and faculty who will regularly meet to study issues of equity and inclusion affecting the BioE community, to advance concrete proposals that improve the BioE climate, monitor their implementation, and document their effects. This format is designed to coordinate equity and inclusion (E&I) activities within BioE, provide awareness of E&I issues and current efforts to address them, and to facilitate communications with the Bioengineering Equity Advisor, the College of Engineering, and campus. Additionally, (the format addresses) this group will address several requests for accommodation from our students including: having more staff and faculty engaged in E&I, engaging the general student body, hosting student groups (e.g. BGESS, SWE), being open to requests for accommodations, providing credit for E&I student projects, amplifying the voices of Black members of our community and other historically underrepresented groups, encouraging faculty, staff, and students to be productive allies, and creating concrete action items for which the department is held accountable.
When: Starting Fall 2020
Meetings: Once a week, on Zoom
Who: You! Open to all UCB BioE faculty, staff, and students
Opportunities for faculty:
- Play a leadership role in making Bioengineering a more equitable and inclusive place
- Engage with and mentor energetic students
- Gain skill, experience, and visibility in equity and inclusion activities
Opportunities for students:
- Amplify your voice on issues related to equity and inclusion
- Cultivate your leadership and advocacy skills
- Engage with faculty in a small group setting
- Receive course credit while working to promote equity and inclusion
Opportunities for staff:
- Influence how Bioengineering addresses pressing social issues
- Help build a more inclusive and responsive workplace
- Share your insights and ideas with students and faculty
Credit: Students may sign up for 1 unit of BioE 98, 198, or 298 with participating faculty
Sign up here