BioE Minor

The Bioengineering Minor

The department offers a minor in bioengineering that is open to all students who are not majoring in bioengineering and who have completed the necessary prerequisites for the minor requirements.

As preparation for the minor, students may want to consider taking the following prerequisites for some of the upper division courses in the minor: Chemistry 3A, *Physics 7A & 7B (*Students who have already taken the Physics 8 series may substitute that for the Physics 7 series.), and Math 53 and 54. In planning electives students should look at other prerequisites for upper division courses you plan on taking for the minor.

Applicants can apply after 2nd semester sophomore year and up to 1st semester senior year. Applicants who have completed all of the courses prior to applying will not be accepted into the minor; students must apply first. Exception: those students who were declared Bioengineering and then changed majors to another department

  • To be admitted to the minor a student must have a technical grade point average of 3.0 (math, science & engineering courses)
  • To successfully complete the minor, students must have a grade point average of 2.000 in the minor courses at graduation
  • Only one upper division course used for the minor can overlap with courses used for their major
  • Completing a minor cannot delay graduation for students in the College of Engineering



  • Students should apply first, before taking courses. You can obtain an application from 306 Stanley Hall or download the pdf
  • Completed applications should be returned to Cindy Manly-Fields in 306 Stanley. Please include an unofficial copy of your transcript with the application.
  • The department will review all applications and students will be notified by email of the decision.
  • Upon completion of the requirements for the minor, the student should complete the Confirmation of Completion form.
  • Make sure to obtain your major adviser’s signature to confirm that you are not overlapping more than 1 upper division course
  • Please submit the form along with an unofficial transcript that shows current grades for all courses used for the minor to 306 Stanley Hall.
  • Graduating Seniors – this must be done no later than two weeks after the end of the term
  • The department will verify the completion of the minor and approve through CalCentral
  • A notation in the memorandum section of the student’s transcript will indicate completion of the minor.