The department offers a minor in bioengineering that is open to all students who are not majoring in bioengineering and who have completed the necessary prerequisites for the minor requirements.
- Chemistry 3A
- *Physics 7A & 7B (*Students who have already taken the Physics 8 series may substitute that for the Physics 7 series.)
- Math 53
- Math 54
In planning electives students should look at other prerequisites for upper division courses you plan on taking for the minor.
Applicants can apply after 2nd semester sophomore year and up to 1st semester senior year. Applicants who have completed more than two of the courses prior to applying will not be accepted into the minor; students are encouraged to apply first. Exception: those students who were declared Bioengineering and then changed majors to another department.
To be admitted to the minor a student must have a technical grade point average of 3.0 (math, science & engineering courses)
To successfully complete the minor, students must have a grade point average of 2.000 in the minor courses at graduation
Only one upper division course used for the minor can overlap with courses used for their major
Completing a minor cannot delay graduation for students in the College of Engineering
- Students cannot petition to substitute courses to fulfill the minor. Students must choose from the approved course listings that current BioE majors can choose from.
- One course off the BioE Fundamentals List
- Two Upper Division courses off the Technical Topics List
- Two Upper Division Bioengineering courses
- Access the electronic application HERE
- Students should apply first before taking BioE minor courses. Students who have completed more than two of the five required courses run the risk of being denied from the minor.
- The department will review all applications on the first Monday of each month. Students will be notified by email of the decision.
- Make sure to obtain your major or college adviser’s signature to confirm that you are not overlapping more than 1 upper division course
- Please email your completed form directly to our undergraduate adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
Graduating Seniors – this must be done no later than two weeks after the end of the term
The department will verify the completion of the minor and approve through CalCentral
A notation in the memorandum section of the student’s transcript will indicate completion of the minor.