The multidisciplinary undergraduate major in bioengineering is intended for academically strong students who excel in the physical sciences, mathematics, and biology. The structure ensures exposure to the breadth and depth of bioengineering subjects, while providing the necessary foundation in engineering and the physical and biological sciences. BioE graduates will be well positioned for careers in industry, further study in medical school, and/or graduate studies in bioengineering and related disciplines.
All students take bioengineering fundamentals courses in areas such as biomechanics, instrumentation, and computational biology, and will choose from a growing list of bioengineering topics for specialized advanced coursework. In addition, students will take BioE laboratory courses and complete a design or research project under faculty supervision.
More information is available on the detailed major requirements page.
Transferring from within Berkeley or from another school?
It is possible to transfer to Bioengineering from another major, another college, a community college, or another university. Learn more about transfer requirements.
Interested in applying?
Undergraduate applications are handled centrally by the UC Berkeley campus Admissions Office. Students transferring from other schools or colleges, please see our Transfers page. International students should see the information available at the Berkeley International Office. Pre-Med students should review the Pre-Med information page. Admitted prospective students who have not yet committed to a university can apply to the BioEngineering Scholars Program.
Come visit the campus! Go to https://visitors.berkeley.edu/ for tours and other visitor information.
Why study Bioengineering at Berkeley?
- The Program – Our curriculum provides a strong foundation in engineering and the biological sciences, with the freedom to explore a variety of topics and specialize in advanced areas of research.
- The Faculty – Berkeley BioE faculty are at the top of their fields, pursuing world-class research in a wide range of different areas. Students can learn in depth from a small group of core faculty, or expand their knowledge working with some of our many affiliated faculty.
- The Opportunities – Bioengineering at Berkeley offers a wealth of opportunity for the motivated student. From independent research to summer programs and student societies, our busy students do it all.
- The College – The College of Engineering at UC Berkeley is a world-renowned school consistently ranked in the top three overall engineering schools in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- The University – UC Berkeley is known as the top public university in the world. Cal offers a world of opportunity to its students and alumni, including top faculty, state-of-the-art research facilities, stimulating programs in music, art, and performance, expanded career opportunities, and a chance to root for the Cal Bears.
- The Community – Located in the beautiful and cosmopolitan San Francisco Bay Area, Berkeley is great place to live. Students and faculty enjoy the diversity, arts, transit, nightlife and business opportunities of a thriving metropolis, plus nearby parks, trails, small neighborhoods and temperate California weather.
It all adds up to success at Berkeley BioE!