Spring 2022 GSI and Reader online application is open. The priority deadline is October 15, 2021
If you are currently appointed as a GSR, you must receive prior approval from your Faculty Research Advisor to apply for a GSI position.
GSI appointments of at least 25% time include partial fee remissions. Appointments do not include offsets for any non-resident tuition. For more information see the Fee Remission Program Bulletin.
For general information on Berkeley campus GSI guidelines, resources, and support visit the Graduate Division’s GSI Teaching and Resource Center. You are responsible for following all requirements of the Graduate Division and Department relating to GSI appointments.
If assigned to teach a course, appointments are August 1 to December 31 for Fall and January 1 to May 31 for Spring. You are required to attend all lectures and lab/discussion sections for your assigned course, hold office hours as required and be present through the grading of final exams.
The number of GSIs per course may change based on enrollments. Such changes may result in a change in your assignment to another course. Good faith efforts are made should these changes arise.
Bioengineering Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Policy
The Bioengineering Department plans ahead when scheduling classes and assigning GSIs to courses. By accepting a GSI position in the Bioengineering Department, you make a good faith commitment to serve for the term for which you have accepted an appointment offer. It is department policy that Bioengineering students notify the department of any plans to accept other means of financial support.
Applicants must meet all Graduate Division requirements for the GSI appointment including being a registered graduate student with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and no more than two incompletes. In addition:
- All GSIs teaching for the first time on the Berkeley campus must attend the First-Time Teaching & Resource Center Conference. This conference is held at the beginning of each semester.
- Every first-time GSI must successfully complete, the online course Professional Standards and Ethics for GSIs before they interact with students (in person or online) in their role as an instructor. GSIs can enroll in the course by going to the GSI Teaching and Resource Centers website.
- Every first-time GSI must either have completed or be enrolled in a 300-level semester-long pedagogy seminar on teaching in the discipline offered by the GSI’s department. In Bioengineering, this course is Bioeng 301 and is offered in the Fall semester only. First-time GSIs who fail to pass the 300-level course must retake and pass the course before they are eligible to teach again.
- All first time GSIs must attend the New Academic Student Employee Orientation, which will include a 30-minute orientation by the university and a 30-minute presentation by UAW Local 2865. Go to HR Web for the dates, times and locations for the New ASE Orientations.
- Oral English Proficiency: Students who do not speak English as a native language and do not hold a Bachelor’s degree from an institution in the United States must demonstrate oral English proficiency to be appointed as a GSI, see https://gsi.berkeley.edu/lpp/index.html for more information.
For additional details on requirements see Appointments Handbook.