Due November 1st for Spring DeCals, April 1st for Fall DeCals.
- Fill out a Course Proposal
The completed form should have the signature of the Lead Student Facilitator and Faculty Instructor of Record at the bottom. Do not obtain the Department Chair’s signature. Please note that BioE will only sponsor courses whose Instructor of Record is a BioE Faculty Member or Instructor.
- A Detailed Syllabus
In addition to providing course details, the syllabus must address the following questions:
- What is the nature of the subject matter or content of the course? (Include a weekly schedule that shows topics, readings, and assignments for each week. A list of assigned readings is required, not optional.)
- What are the key learning outcomes? (What will students be expected to know or be able to do as a result of this course?)
- What are the methods of instruction (e.g., lecture, discussion, collaborative learning, etc.)?
- How will student performance be evaluated? (What will students be required to do to pass the class, and how much weight will each requirement have toward the final grade?)
- How will the instructor of record supervise the student course facilitator(s)?
- Has the student facilitator attended a UCFTR*/SLC* Start-Up Workshop? or taken a Craft of Facilitating course?
- A Unit value/Workload Worksheet
Please note that the number of weeks detailed in the weekly schedule must align with what you enter on this sheet. Discrepancies will not be accepted.
- NEW: Faculty Sponsor Letter of Support – A letter of support from the instructor of record must be provided for each course the instructor is sponsoring. The letter should address the five questions listed in the application explaining the role and relationship the instructor has with the course. The letter should be written on department letterhead and signed by the instructor of record. This is required for all student-facilitated course proposals starting spring 2018.
- Signature Sheet for Instructors of Record
- Department DeCal Form (for scheduling)
In addition, prospective student instructors should familiarize themselves with the following information:
- Student Checklist – This document lists requirements for student facilitators
- DeCal – Undergraduate student facilitators who wish to advertise their courses through DeCal should consult the DeCal website: www.decal.org
- FAQ about Student-Facilitated Courses
- Please refer your Faculty Sponsor/Instructor of Record to the Faculty FAQ